Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 22, 2014, 02:40:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bus won't start  (Read 7545 times)
Dallas

« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2008, 03:49:13 PM »

OK, here's a bit of an update...

I got Chaz's bus up and running yesterday. It has a bad battery that keeps killing both so I had to put chargers on them.

Today I ran the rack, reset the governor and ran the bus for an hour or so watching oil pressure, temp and vibration anomalies.

The only thing that has turned up so far is that there is a bit of vibration that I don't really care for, but can't find any reason to call it a bad injector, other than a bit of white smoke when I first fired it up. It's possible the piston crown just barely kissed the tip of the injector, even though the valves weren't touched.

Later we took it for a 25 mile ride and the smoke cleared up along with the vibration.

Chaz is suppose to be here in the morning to pick his baby up, we'll see what he thinks of it when he gets here.

Thanks guys for all the good thoughts, but if I did do something to screw it up, I'd be the first one to admit it.. I've gone through every step in my head over and over and can't think of anything that would cause it. On that piston and the last piston, Cat watched me put them together and even helped me torque the wrist pin bolts to spec.

All we can do now is hope that Fed-Mog sees it our way and sends a check to cover the extra costs.

Dallas
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2008, 02:00:30 PM »

Well, I got the ol'girl home. She ran good. I tried to keep her below "super sonic".  Grin I think I passed 1 woman truck driver during the whole trip.

Now the final test should be starting it tomorrow. Then that will be, basically, a repeat of the trip out there.

Dallas showed me the piston/liner "mess". And it really is!!!! I'm no diesel mechanic, but other than a part failure, I can't imagine what else would do that. I'll change the oil back out tomorrow and she "should" be good to go. (I pray!!)

Thanx for all the good thoughts and advice!!!!!!!!!!

Sincerly,
     Chaz

p.s. Taking into consideration 1 gallon of fuel an hour at idle, (my cousin the truck driver gave me that stat) and Dallas saying it idled for about 3-4 hours, I figured up my fuel mileage and it was 7.42 mpg.  That makes me happy!! Especially considering 1 injector could possibly still need a little attention.

Thanx again Dallas and Kat!!!  Good luck with the possible MCI!!!

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2008, 02:14:38 PM »

Congradulations!!!!  Life is good..

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2008, 10:40:35 PM »

Chaz- Sooo glad you decided to stick with it.  Now with a fresh engine, the real enjoyment will begin.  You're not going to believe just how much of a blast it will be to be out there cruising in the old GMC!  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2008, 10:53:51 PM »

Good to learn it back on the road again.

Praise the Lord!

Sojourn for Christ, Gerald

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2008, 12:31:28 PM »

Thanx for the nice thoughts and encouragement guys. It means allot.
This bus really does mean allot to me and the feeling I get when I have it out on the road is only second to the feeling of freedom that my Harley gives me.
But..................... I'm looking at the idea of finding her a new good home.

In the past, since I bought her, I've read all the threads about what you should do before you buy a bus and the #1 first criteria is being able to afford it . Well............ I'm afraid I have just been fooling myself. It was all good until this little adventure. Now, if anything major should happen yet again, I would have to take a real burn on it or part it out. Both of which about make me want to hurl.

So, I am going to tinker with her for awhile yet to get all the little things fixed up and then look at my options. ALL of them are on the table. And just think, if I do part with her, there COULD be yet another "bus nut" added to our happy little family. (trying to be optimistic)

Anyway, I do appreciate all of your well wishing............ I really do.

Time to go change out the oil again and listen to her purr.

Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/

Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2008, 04:39:27 PM »

Hey Dallas,
Just as a follow up, I was wondering if the Oregon company that supplied my rebuild parts ever determined if it was a faulty part or not?? Surely they came up with some sort of conclusion by now.

Thanx,
      Chaz

bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2008, 05:04:59 PM »

We heard on Friday but plan on calling them back in a day or two.   They sat on the stuff for two weeks and when I pushed them the guy went down, they put a new bolt in and said it was mechanic error. That was the extent of their testing. They said it wasn't torqued properly and I stood beside Dallas and verified that each bolt torqued right so we know that it was their way of getting out of paying.

They had told me on the phone that they would take pictures and then send the part to the maker of the part for them to determine the problem and then suddenly it was PC's service department that did the tests in about 2 minutes.  I fail to see how one new bolt inserted proves that it wasn't part failure.

Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.
redbus

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2008, 05:21:23 AM »

What a shame when a big company can make a call like that with no recourse. I worked on the brakes on a (1) year old Newmar and was told by Dexter that they NEVER made mistakes in manufacturing. Well long story short the customer left happy and I lost my A$$ in parts and labor.
Hope you can find a way to get them to reconcider.

Terry
"Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, Believe in them, and try to follow them." ~Louisa May Alcott~
www.awayweare.blogspot.com/
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2008, 06:22:30 AM »

Hope you can find a way to get them to reconcider.

Sadly with big companies, they often don't take claims seriously until they come from a lawyer and they count on the fact that it would be more expensive for the customer to hire a lawyer than swallow the loss.  Companies sometimes develop the idea that if they get out of a couple dozen claims and then have to pay one plus legal fees, they are still ahead.  Then as they lose sales over time, they blame the economy or competition.
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2008, 07:53:33 AM »

I would contact Federal/Mogul direct and tell them you are being given the shaft by the retailer  248-354-7700 find the right person and they will listen. You could bet your last dollar if PC installed it and it failed something would be done     have a great day
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 07:58:30 AM by makemineatwostroke » Logged
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2008, 12:35:22 PM »

Dang. That bites.  Angry
I was also thinking Fed Mog was going to be the one testing the parts. It's no hair off of PC's butt. Something fishy going on here, me thinks.  Undecided
 Thanx for the # MM2S. I will give them a buzz if Dallas doesn't get any satisfaction. Being the customer, m-a-y-b-e will put a voice to the situation.
  Thanx for the advice and encouragement guys.

Chaz

jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2008, 02:09:04 PM »

In these situations, I find that a phone call usually does little. It also does not leave a trail. But should be done never the less. Next is an email or fax, this also does little but gets a bit more attention because it leaves a trail.  Next is a well thought out letter. with cc to file. This seems to almost always get a response. If not a "return recipt requested"  this also should show cc to file and some law firm and maybe the BBB or some such orginization, maybe the state attorney general. The law firm can be fictional or if you need to be honest pick a law firm out of the book and send a copy to them!

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

OneLapper

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2008, 02:17:58 PM »

As the owner of John Dxxre dealership, call PC and get as far up the ladder as possible.  All major manufactures have reps that have budgets for "out of warranty consideration" situations.  The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

But I didn't tell you anything! Wink

Mark

OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2008, 02:22:19 PM »

I have always found that talking to the person they want you to talk to does nothing.  Whenever there is any problem at all, I start with a supervisor and, if not satisfied, that person's supervisor.  If that fails, there is some vice president or higher officer to involve.  People at the bottom do not have the authority to resolve much, so I generally acknowledge their constraints and demand to speak to someone that has real authority.  Lower level people are expected to keep problems, and themselves, invisible.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: