Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 16, 2014, 05:59:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bio-Diesel  (Read 2120 times)
Merlin

Run away before the kids come back home.

Ignore
« on: June 17, 2006, 05:34:16 PM »

I noticed that E-Sonador posted a link to a Bio-Diesel web page a while back.  Very interesting reading.  I spent the last two hours reading the entire web site with all the links.  What piqued my interest is the cleaning properties of Bio-
Diesel.  It supposedly will break loose a lot of crud so for a while the filters will need replaced more frequently.  Storage life is a downside, but should not be a major hurdle.

Overall, I'm impressed with Bio-Diesel (methyl ester) which is NOT the fry grease stuff that is being pawned off as acceptable in diesel engines.  Matter of fact the EPA considers the use of such unrefined grease to be harmful to the environment.  At least they have labeled it as "illegal" ... guess I can read between the lines here and assume the EPA is getting some pressure from the Bio-Diesel refiners to label "other products" as not approved.

Nowhere in my reading did I locate a price for the Bio-Diesel.  If the gummit is serious about pandering cleaner fuel, then I'd suggest that they cut the federal tax on Bio-Diesel ... but what do I know ... eh?

Here is the Bio-Diesel link again: http://tinyurl.com/qbt7o

This is the map of pump stations, but you can strip back the URL to get to the main web page.

Happy reading ...

Merlin

Bus conversion is DONE, and now the home for full-time travel.  Look for me parked in front of your house.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 08:06:37 PM »

Merlin I think yer onto somethin, on the fry grease fuel can you say no way to TAX IT? And if they can't figure a way to TAX IT, then it becomes ILLEGAL cause they ain't maken no $ off it! It ain't about cleaner fuel it's about how much $ can we make off it? That's just like all the fuel price gouging that went on last year in the aftermath of Katrina, well surprise surprise surprise at the end of the year the oil companys reported record growth in their profits directly proportioned to the amount of gouging we paid at the pumps, and we're still paying it! So again next year they'll be reporting record gains again! And our gubberment won't do anything about it, and we'll still be pay'n it! BK  Angry  Huh  Embarrassed  Undecided Cry

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
tucsontattoo

1962 4106

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 11:16:15 PM »

Do you mean to tell me our gov.could have an agenda that might not be in our best interest with such things as fuel prices. sounds to me like your parinoide............................................................................................................I know I am.

Tucson

we do things three ways,good,fast or cheap. PICK TWO!
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 04:03:32 AM »

Hi all,
Every time I've called for prices on biodiesel from the stations which carry it, the price has been more expensive.  Usually from 20 cents p/gallon up to almost 1$ p/gallon extra, depending on the mixture purchased.  I think the 100 grade (all biodiesel mixture) was the most expensive.  The less biodiesel in the fuel was the less cost per gallon fuel. 

Overall, it was a disappointing experience.  I was hoping the bio fuel would have been less.  Maybe things have changed - I last checked a few months ago.  This was in northern Illinois.

YMMV - hope this helps, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 06:07:35 AM »

Naw Phil it's still higher but they claim that it's worth it in that "you are saving the enviroment" I think it's a bunch of crap! But what do I know ? I'm Pariniode!!!
Not!  Grin Cool Cheesy BK

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 10:09:40 AM »

Bio Diesel is a good idea if you want to supplement your consumption in your bus.  Willie Nelson has Bio-Willie stations in Texas.  But consider-just in the U.S., we have about 5 million trucks on the road averaging about 100 gal a day burning.  That's 500 million gallons a day-just for trucks!  This isn't including construction and off road equipment, generating plants (most of Hawaii, parts of Alaska use straight Diesel for power), airplanes (use Kerosene which is very close to #1 Diesel), and biggest of all-most all boats and commercial ships (which use either #2, #3 Diesel or #5 bunker oil that has to be heated to run through the lines-usually has a consistancy of molasses. Those ships have to carry gasoline to flush out the fuel lines after shutting off so the bunker oil doesn't solidify in the lines [big mess].  Also, one of the big overseas container lines has switched to normal Diesel for cleaner burning {can't remember which line}).  Considering that last year, we made about 3 billion gallons of Bio-Diesel (about 6 days worth for trucks), we have a long way to go to be completely reliant on Bio Diesel (that day will come. Diesels are not going away, they are simply the most fuel efficient mode of locomotion that is available today.  Hydrogen is not the answer-it has been found that burning Hydrogen creates ice crystals in the upper atmosphere-bummer!)  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
tucsontattoo

1962 4106

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 08:18:44 PM »

I was being factious B.K. It isn't paranoia when it's obvious, Didn't mean any offense.  Worked in the oil field in Okla and Texas to many years watching them drill and cap to believe their is any shortage.the longer they leave there oil in the ground the more it's worth. Once the price hits 5.00 a gallon watch and see how many pump jacks you suddenly see on your way through the mid-west! Were not out of oil, were just out of that dollar a gallon stuff.

Just being toung and cheek............  Tucson

« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 08:59:35 PM by DrivingMissLazy » Logged

we do things three ways,good,fast or cheap. PICK TWO!
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 09:12:15 AM »

I was being factious B.K. It isn't paranoia when it's obvious, Didn't mean any offense.  Worked in the oil field in Okla and Texas to many years watching them drill and cap to believe their is any shortage.the longer they leave there oil in the ground the more it's worth. Once the price hits 5.00 a gallon watch and see how many pump jacks you suddenly see on your way through the mid-west! Were not out of oil, were just out of that dollar a gallon stuff.
                         Just being toung and cheek............  Tucson

Tucson, no offense taken at all as a matter of fact I was laff'n my but off while sending that last one because I've been told I have a Gubberment Parinioa for yrs! I've also been told I have a problem with Authority Figures! Huh Problem with Authority Huh Absolutly not! Not as long as I'm the one delegating it! LOL!!! BK
Roll Eyes Cool Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Clarke Echols

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 07:29:26 PM »

I get sick of hearing about "renewable" energy in the form of ethanol and bio-diesel.  I know little about bio-diesel, but I have considerable experience using EPA-mandated ethanol-gasoline blends over many years, every winter in the Denver area.

If you take a gallon of gasoline and replace one pint of gas with ethanol, you still have a gallon of fuel, but the distance that blended mix will take you down the road is ***LESS*** than the distance that same gallon of  gas, missing the pint of replacement ethanol, will take you.  In other words, burning ethanol to "save" importation of crude oil from the Middle East actually increases our dependence on foreign oil.

Also, research shows that it takes more energy to produce a gallon of ethanol from corn than you get out of the gallon of ethanol when you burn it as fuel.  All ethanol does is make Cargill, Archer Daniels Midland, and other big corporations wealthy.  The help to American farmers is far less, but Cargill, ADM, et al make large contributions to politicians which helps their "credibility".  Then there is the cabal of "researchers" who make their living reporting on the non-issue of "global warming" when actual measurements show it's bogus, and the computer "models" they use don't take into account the climate of the sun.  It's about getting grants so they can spend the grant money instead of "getting a real job".

Crude oil from deep wells have primarily C12 carbon isotopes.  Oil from known fossil sources are mainly C13 isotope.  C13 is assimilated by plants better than C12.  This means that deep-well crudes far from fossil beds is a geological fuel produced in the earth's core.  This is evidenced by wells that are refilling that once were dry.  And no, it's not just trickling in from the original deposits...

The solution to the whole mess is to make better use of what's there and drill more wells along with new refinery capacity, but to do that, we have to quit whining about unseemly profits on the part of oil companies, and let them develop what they know is there.  Cutting down on mergers of super-corporations might help improve the compeitive environment.

CE
darrenayres

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 06:22:15 AM »

BK, just because your paranoid don't mean they ain't after ya'!  Shocked
n4rsn

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 10:09:45 AM »

I know a few people that make Bio-diesel, and it works quite well.  Burns clean.  Some use it in the small diesels, like vw, and Mercedes. I use it in my 8-71. It runs clean, with no problems.   I am afraid to use the svo, or streight waste oil, in the 8-71, as there are to much foreign stuff in it.
To make enough Bio-diesel to supply the bus, it takes a lot of veg. oil, and a lot of time.
Now I am in the process of making a regenerative still, to recover the Methanol, used in the process, of making to Bio-diesel.   You can find all the information on the net, and than use your wisdom, and modify what is needed.
Steve Grin
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006, 10:15:34 AM »

Thanks Clarke,
I thought I was the only one that noticed that ethanol had less energy than gasoline, not to mention it can attack rubber in the fuel system & evaporates faster.......

I have a question - Are we recycling waste veggie oil if we are simply diverting it from other uses elsewhere & it was not being thrown away?

I'm guessing that it is just a matter of time before there is a law passed to prevent us from making our own biodiesel (IE: require some certification & EPA BS).

Amazing what laws will get passed when enough money and BS is spread around.

The ONLY thing that is saving us from our gubberment is it's inefficiency!

kyle4501

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Christyhicks

1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2006, 04:49:59 PM »

No, that's not "attacking the rubber" and causing filters to clog up. . .that's called "Cleaning the lines."   Cheesy

Nothing's more fun than laying on the ground under your RV, on the side of the interstate, replacing yet ANOTHER fuel filter because yours is clogged up from getting fuel with Ethanol in it when your baby's used to the thick stuff!  Yeah, we love "CLEANING THE LINES!" Angry

We think we like our engine just the way it is and are going to run dino-deisel as long as we can.  Someone else can experiment and fabricate and concoct to their heart's content, we're just going to pull up, fill 'er up, and then find someplace to sit and throw back a few.  Now, if I'm going to brew anything, I might just want to brew. .. . .  :: Huh. . hmmm.  .something liquid, something long and cool. . . hmmmmmm Cheesy  Christy Hicks

If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: