Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 22, 2014, 08:48:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ABC's bus sinks  (Read 1378 times)
white-eagle

Ignore
« on: October 21, 2008, 07:44:42 PM »

i was watching ABC's nightly news with charlie gibson.  they were doing a 50 day, 50 locations bus tour interviewing various citizens and getting political viewpoints.

Naturally, they had to get to a farmer, to discuss credit problems, grain prices, etc.  Charlie even got to ride the corn picker.

But the best part was the bus driver, assumedly a professional, with long years of experience driving the huge 45ft, extra tall, lavishly built, 60,000lb bus.  and not realizing he would sink into a corn field.  He had to be pulled out  Shocked Shocked.  he pulled into that field just like entering the highway entrance ramp.

who would have thought?   Roll Eyes

BK, i hope that wasn't one of your leases

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 08:26:12 PM »

About 6 or 7 years ago, I took my 4104 to Delaware to attend the World Championship Punkin Chunkin.  [For those of you not familiar with the event, see the following link.  http://www.punkinchunkin.com/  ]

When I got there, I found out that the parking lot was a huge corn field, that had been recently harvested with the stalks flattened down.  Fortunately, it was very dry and hard.  After paying the parking fee they waved the cars (and me) onto the field, and I had to drive at least 800 yards across this field to the spot they wanted us to park.  It was the strangest sensation bouncing across a corn field in a bus. (Side question: Can you call it four wheelin' if all the drive wheels are all on the same axle?)

I was able to get in and out of the lot with no problem, thanks to extended dry weather.  I will be attending the Chunkin for my third time on Nov 1.  Probably will not be taking the 4104 this time, however.  Anybody else going?

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 03:54:45 AM »

We "off road" at just about every Bluegrass Festival and Antique Engine & Tractor Show. Usually grass covered ground. If there is any question, I get out and walk the area first.  Several time we decided not to "go there" only to watch motorhomes get stuck.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Homegrowndiesel
Vegetable oil, Rudolf Diesel's original fuel

73-05 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 02:51:59 PM »

Hey Wayne
We plan on going this year
Bill

Aerodynamic Eagle & MCI 102a3
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 08:09:35 PM »

Bill:

I'll be looking for you. I am not taking my 4104. I should be wandering around the event all day Saturday.

Wayne

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: