Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 27, 2014, 10:17:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CDL or not  (Read 7730 times)
busing704

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 06:17:47 PM »

I have a class B with air brake Not for the law but for myself and now I am going for a P because I am beening loaned a seated bus. (A new 45ft van hool) so why not
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 06:52:27 PM by busing704 » Logged
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 06:40:31 PM »

We're not required to have a CDL, but I believe there are too many people out there driving rigs they're either not comfortable driving, or incapable of driving safely Shocked Maybe just a required safety course for anyone that wants to drive a rig over 26K  Roll Eyes Wait a minute......Okay, let it hit the fan! Grin Grin

white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 07:02:20 PM »

CDL's in my home state require higher points and penalties for any infraction.

Why bring more government or regulation upon yourself................
Cliff

i checked with 2 license agencies, the hwy patrol, 2 testers and finally the LT. in charge of CDL testing before i finally got the correct answer on requirements in Ohio.  No CDL required if you are not commercial, driving a motorhome, regardless of brake type or weights.
i was going to get one anyway, but he suggested not to for the same reason cliff brought up.  i didn't get one.
he also let me know that an open drink is not ok even if it's not the driver (i thought it was from seeing party buses) and that the bus speed is the same as truck limits, not the 70mph cars can drive, at least in OHio in case anyone cares.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2008, 09:37:18 PM »

John, you are absolutely correct. I had you crossed up with iminaccess, and thought you were the New Jersey owner driving his band around.  So, sorry.

Let me do a rewind.  If you are operating your coach for RV type purposes, and not something that could be deemed a business, then I would concur that you are non-commercial and the CDL probably doesn't apply.

In any event, my comments about researching the regs for your own home state still apply. You may also want to check specifically about the trailer. I believe my state has a requirement that anything over 10,000 GVWR requires a Class A, and I don't recall there being a commercial/non-commercial differentiation. So your 14K trailer might kick you into that class, even if you aren't using it for commercial purposes.

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
BUR

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2008, 10:56:02 PM »

I just renewed my license, and kept my CDL even though I don't need it for the Bus. The reason I did is you never know when some legislator is going to push for RVs to get a different type of license. My CDL
is worthless for commercial use without a medical card and believe me we don't want to go there.
BUR

1980 Prevost   8V71TA  6 speed stick
Homebase   Kelso, Washington
Coming to a city near you      "Fulltiming"
Winter months   Yuma AZ
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2008, 11:19:18 PM »

California states- with a class C license you can drive up to a 3 axle house car that is 40ft or under and pull up to a 10,000lb pull trailer, or a 15,000lb fifth wheel/goose neck trailer (don't quite know how you'd pull a fifth wheel behind a bus).  If the bus is over 40ft or you're pulling a trailer over 10,000lb, then you have to have a class A non commercial license.  Check with your state.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
jgm

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2008, 02:10:44 AM »

If you are using your coach for a band and getting paided at shows then not only would you need a CDL because of the weight of your coach you would need to have DOT #'s   it falls under Private Coach NOT For Hire..     Just like if a person goes to a rodeo with his motorhome and makes money for riding a bull..  He would fall under Private coach not for hire and would need DOT #'s
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2008, 04:55:14 AM »

New Mexico has a field day when the Rodeo is in town in Albuquerque.  Busting all the rodeo participants that don't have DOT numbers on their pick-em-up trucks.  Good Luck, TomC

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2008, 05:31:41 AM »

Just crious, since a bullrider only needs his rope, bell, boots/spurs, glove, rosin & chaps, if he travels in a car instead of a pick-up truck, does he still need a CDL and DOT # on his car?  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
jgm

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2008, 05:43:31 AM »

Not sure if that response was a joke or not.. He would fall under the weight restrictions of his coach..   Sounds stupid but I had federal DOT at our office to do an audit on are company and that was straight out of there mouth..   As for a pulling a trailer..  If you do fall under commercial and pulling a trailer over 10,000 gvw then you do need a class A..   Most people think it's how much the trailer weighs loaded..   It could be unloaded and weigh 4000 pounds and have a GVW of 12000 that would mean you need a class A to pull the trailer..
thanksssssssss
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2008, 05:59:16 AM »

John, you are absolutely correct. I had you crossed up with iminaccess, and thought you were the New Jersey owner driving his band around.  So, sorry.

Hey, don't worry about it. You have great insight and comments. Keep them coming!!!

Okay, so if we do need a CDL (I will check state regs again on that) would we have to abide by all of the rules? Not over ten hours of driving, log book, etc. If we had a slight fender bender would I have to go in for the drug tests, and the like. So I guess my question is, if you have a CDL, does that mean that one needs to abide by all of the rules.

About the Dot numbers. I sure don't know (again I will have to do some pretty through searching in the state regs), I would hate to have to get tangled in that spider web of papers and rules!!!

Enough for now, and thanks for all of the comments.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
bigjohnkub
pd4903-188 and now pd4107

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2008, 06:44:47 AM »

I live in Texas and have a class c license. I have been checked twice and they were not anyproblems. Both times were highway patrol, once with border patrol and the other with Park rangers(U.S.). They were more worried about mu pistol being loaded and if I was transporting illegal aliens. I have a pd4905. Big John

Big John  Tyler Tx PD 4903-188 & 4107
871 dd, 4 spd Fuller.
LOVE MY BUS!!!!
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2008, 07:19:29 AM »

At one point, I was looking into some CDL info for my state and came across an interesting paradox.

If I wanted to get a CDL in PA, I would need to take the road course test in a commercial vehicle. My GMC4104 is registered as a motorhome.  I am not 100% sure that it would be permissable to use it to take the test.

Perhaps I could leave a one dollar bill on the dash and tell the guy testing me that I was being paid to take the test, therefore at the time I am operating commercially.  ... but then again, would he fail me for not having DOT#s?    ... oh, nevermind.

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2008, 08:35:43 AM »

The license needed is a NON commercial Class A for driving a bus over 40ft.  That means no log books, no signs on the bus, no DOT numbers, etc.  The main reason is to make sure you know the regulations, restrictions, and capabilities of both the air system, the length and the weight of the bus.  Before driving a bus, most non truck/bus driving people had not driven anything bigger than a full size van, or maybe a gas powered sticks and staples motorhome.  The government just wants to make sure you know what you're doing before getting out on the road (at least most of the time).   Good Luck, TomC

jgm

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2008, 09:30:46 AM »

John if i am following you correct you are asking if you need a cdl to drive your coach that you own lisenced as a motorhome for your band??  Yes you can drive it with no cdl..  But the deal is if you get pulled over by the right cop and he thinks you are running it for a business he could give you trouble..  Second and most important if you get into an accident they will run the riot act on you and find out that you were using if for a business and not to drive to campgrounds on the weekend..  There again you would be considered a private coach not for hire..   I played in a band for 17 years and drove our bus for the band and we ran dot #..  i'm not a total expert..  but know federal guy really well and have learned a lot from him..
Thanks
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: