Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 18, 2014, 02:41:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CDL or not  (Read 7800 times)
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2008, 09:41:00 AM »

The whole issue is that you can't trust the government lunatics at all.

IF you ask you will not get a consistent answer about a CDL. Mainly because you are asking "GOOBER"... Nobody knows the real answer so why keep asking.

If you are not commercial, advertising or making a profit from driving then you probably don't need a CDL and all the headaches that it can and probably will cause you.

CDL rules are very strict and don't allow for any discrepancies of any kind if you get caught slighly bending some obscure rule. Those rules for a CDL are national rules not just any particular state's rules. Some states have additional rules that may or may not apply and can get you into a lot of trouble because the "GOOBERS" have no idea how to interpret and apply the correct rule.

If you have a CDL you are under the microscope for the slightest infraction even when driving your personal car. The fines are 100 times worse than under a normal drivers license. You are expected to know all the rules and comply whether "GOOBER" even knows why he stopped you.

Motorhome, Private Coach, House Car, Travel Trailer - Whatever all don't need any CDL's in 99% of the places that you would go. BUUTT .. Put a sign on the side or can seat 15 passengers or more and you are commercial.

Put a sign on your cargo trailer and the CDL rules may apply in a lot of places and not apply anywhere else. The DOT numbers is yet another idiotic application of "GOOBER" Logic. Mostly for Interstate ( crossing state lines ). A local operation doesn't always need a DOT number but then again it depends on what "GOOBER" thinks at the moment. DOT numbers is a Tracking System.

I am an idiot so pay me no attention. I have seen these subjects worn out before...

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2008, 05:59:41 PM »

DrDave-Reloaded, I hope you check back on this thread.

Thanks for all of the info.

More importantly, I may have missed this in recent topics, but how are you doing? I would like an update. Are you all back to normal, recovering slowly, quickly, almost well or what? I will keep praying for you. Let me know how you are.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2008, 10:39:41 AM »

I am still alive. Don't know why.

My healing up is going to be a long bumpy road and in 6 to 8 months after my stomache closes up then I get to do it all again to reverse the ostomy and repair my stomach muscles they cut.

new Pacemaker/ICD was tested today.. Not a fun thing..But at least I don't have to go back for 6 months and get a remote monitor sent to me in a couple of weeks so they can check in on me....

Winter like weather is here now so my forageing for LP gas is sure to start soon.
Hope soon to find something other than the bus to live in that has better insulation. I have a couple people trying to locate a used and mostly free mobile home that I can get that will be better than what I have now.

My truck broke down last night so I have to find a way to get that running again and back home. seems I got some trashy diesel or sucked up a rabbit? Dunno..
If it weren't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all.....

Dave....

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2008, 12:49:58 PM »

The "California Commercial Driver Handbook," distributed by the DMV enumerates, on the first page, what can be driven or towed with each class of license.   "With a Basic Class C License," it includes "any housecar 40' or less."  I am going to keep a copy of this handbook in the bus in case there is ever a need for verification.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2008, 11:39:05 AM »

This was a great thread.  Thank you all.  I was just thinking (again dangerous!) that in spite of all the silly and dumb rules and regulations, WE ARE, generally speaking, very very lucky to be able to conduct our Bus Conversion hobby and STILL come and go as we please.  Thanks again.  HB of CJ Smiley Smiley Smiley
John316

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2008, 05:36:10 AM »

HBofCJ, got to this before I could. Grin Grin Grin

Thanks for all for the answers. They were very insightful. I am in the process of looking at our regs for the state. I don't, think that we will have to get a comm CDL but I am still checking.

Thanks again for the great topic...

God bless,

John

Blacksheep

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2008, 05:52:35 AM »

There has been a lot of good infomation passed out in this thread but one thing needs to be mentioned and that is medical check ups are required annually to keep a cdl endorsement. How many of you actually get a complete phyisical every year? If you don't, your endorsment is null and void. I know this is in Florida so you may want to check your state for the same. Oh and it takes a doctor certificate, not just a paid doctor visit receipt!

Ace
circusboy90210
Chat Banned

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2008, 07:32:11 AM »

My understanding is that your home state (New Jersey) sets the specific CDL requirements that would apply to you, and then you are "free to move about the country" based on adhering to your home state regs.

In NJ their regs state:

Are there any exemptions to being required to have New Jersey CDL?
Yes, a few . . .
1. Active Duty Military . . . with military licenses operating military vehicles.
2. Firefighters . . . meeting approved training standards and operating authorized emergency vehicles.
3. Farmers . . . in certain cases.
4. Individuals ....operating motor homes or other vehicles used exclusively to transport personal possessions or family members, for non business purposes

The fact that #4 limits the motor home exemption to non business purposes tells me that a vehicle titled as an RV can still be required to have a CDL.

As I understand your previous posts, your vehicle is used extensively for out of state transportation of a band, and they do that for compensation.  What you tell the DMV when you registered it, and what you told your insurance company, is between you and them.  HOWEVER, should you have an accident or be stopped, the responsibility eventually rests with you.

I can understand HB of CJ not wanting to get a CDL for his vehicle used privately. Sounds like his truely is a non-commercial use however.   (Although I couldn't find any references to buses in the Constitution. Jefferson must have missed that one. Wink)

Doug:  It is common practice for insurance companies to set different rates based on whether the driver is using their vehicle for "business use". However their determination of what constitutes "commercial" is entirely different than the Vehicle Code requirements for a CDL.
circus folk don't need cdl to drive their rv thoughit's work  related & hauling commercial equip. farmers don't even need any licernse within 200 miles of farm. weight or trailer do not mean cdl use of vehicle does .
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2008, 07:49:58 AM »

Guys; the cdl's are a fed not a state program and all states are tied to the fed's data bank,another fed control over the states ,Canada and Mexico CDL holders are in that data bank also  

have a great day
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 07:52:14 AM by makemineatwostroke » Logged
circusboy90210
Chat Banned

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2008, 08:12:07 AM »

the different classes a bc allowf or operation of different vehicle-types the cd scans you drive that type of vehicle or not nothing more nothing less this is not rocket-science... over 15 passangers means you need passenger endorsement but not a CDL -Again unless it's for profit. hence the word Commercial meaning being in Commerce or trade. if your using for personal, pleasure, or for a Nun profit group. you CAn Drive any vehicle type w/out CDL .There this Settles this once finally
John316

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2008, 08:36:13 AM »

Ace and MMA2S, thanks good points. I really appreciate all of your posts.

God bless,

John
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 05:02:11 PM by John316 » Logged

makemineatwostroke

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2008, 08:38:23 AM »

Wrong there circus boy I am required by federal and state law in all states to have a class B CDL to drive my 450 Ford with a goose neck( Private) with total gvw over 26,001  .If you tow a trailer I don't care what you are towing it with over 10,000#GW the law requires you to have some type CDL it is not enforced on RV's but they can if they choose too seen it happen before in Utah  

have a great day
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 12:26:52 PM by makemineatwostroke » Logged
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2008, 11:00:25 AM »

circus folk don't need cdl to drive their rv thoughit's work  related & hauling commercial equip. farmers don't even need any licernse within 200 miles of farm. weight or trailer do not mean cdl use of vehicle does .

Personally, I am sceptical of all three of these statements.

1) Circus Folk...  I can believe a circus employee could probably get away with driving his personal RV from one location to another, without raising any eyebrows. But if he transporting circus equipment or other circus employee and is being compensated for it, I would deem that a commercial endeavor.

2) Farmers within 200 miles  That is a very broad statement.  I know there are some exceptions for farmers, and my earlier quote (in red) mentions that.  But I doubt that farmers are excluded from the need for any license within 200 miles. Might be true in some states.  Might apply when using farm equipment, or for agricultural purposes only.   

3) Weight or trailer does not mean CDL   I'll trust Makemineatwostoke's comment about the trailer.

I'd really be interested to see if a reliable source (aka: a reference website) could be produced to support the comments.  My earlier quote came from here:  http://www.cdl-course.com/faq-nj.html

Without something backing it up, it is just an opinion, not a fact.   Sorry, but adding "that settles it", doesn't count.

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
circusboy90210
Chat Banned

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2008, 01:39:11 PM »

I hold cdl class a with air brakes, trailer & passenger endorsement. trailer does not mean cdl it means trailer endorsement with the appropraite weight class..... look @ your manual.
John316

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2008, 01:59:11 PM »

Come on guys, lets try to make sure that this stays nice.

Circusboy, first off they are right. We would like to see something that backs up your statements. According to my CDL manuel they are right. Holding a CDL W endorsements doesn't mean that one knows all of the rules. And some rules do change from state to state.

Second off. WEC4104, and Makemineatwostroke, have had great advice in the past, and have more "seniority" here if you will. They seem to have really well documented thoughts. I know in our state it requires a special "farm" license to move farm equipment on government roads.

That's just my thoughts...

God bless,

John
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 05:01:20 PM by John316 » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: