Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 05:10:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: test out your block heater and turn off water pumps  (Read 2099 times)
white-eagle

Ignore
« on: October 22, 2008, 07:05:08 PM »

anyone above the mason-dixon line better have their ether ready or the block heater on.  i also turned off the water pump inside just in case it really does get to 30 tonight.  no point in having a split line and the pump squirting it all over.

they're calling for snow here in Ohio on Sunday!!!!  ALREADY!!!!! Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 07:26:30 PM »

I'm way north of the Mason-Dixon line and it is only supposed to get to the upper 30s tonight.  We did get a light frost the other day.

I was only able to partially winterize my system before the frost due to issues, but I doubt it got cold enough for damage.  I will finish the job tomorrow now that I stuff I need to finish.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Blacksheep

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 07:48:07 PM »

Hey Tom, I feel foR you man. Tomorrow they are calling for 88 here, so anyone in or near central Florida, CRANK UP THOSE AC'S!  Grin

Ace
VAN

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 08:38:28 PM »

gonna get cold here in vegas too,lower 70's tomorrow HEE HEE
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 04:52:05 AM »

Had to run the A/C all night here in Los Angeles-those pesky Santa Ana's are blowing.  Supposed to be in the upper 80's today.  When I was driving truck, I used to take the three winter months off-if there was white on the ground, I wasn't there.  It wasn't that I hated the stuff so much, was the stupid 4 wheelers around me that made it so white knuckle driving.  Just wasn't worth being out in it-hence I still live in So Cal without putting up with the white stuff.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 05:06:52 AM »

they're calling for snow here in Ohio on Sunday!!!!  ALREADY!!!!! Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

We had frost 3 mornings in a row (this past Monday-Wednesday) while visiting friends in north central NC (near the VA border). That was it for us.  Our policy: Frost 3 consecutive mornings, time to head south. We are presently near Augusta, GA through the weekend, then heading further south to the SE Busnuts Rally near Waycross, GA.   Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
cody

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 10:44:03 AM »

Your hurting me, that was really mean lol, it was 29 degrees with a heavy frost yesterday morning here and I can't go looking for palm trees this winter  Cry.  If I croak over the winter, somebody is going to get haunted lol.
Blacksheep

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 10:58:37 AM »

Hey Cody, I wouldn't let the doc's stop me from looking for Palm trees. I say, do it today if you can. You may not be able to tomorrow! Smiley

Ace
busshawg

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 12:45:18 PM »

Well some of you guys are making me quite jealous, I live in Austin , Manitoba. Look it up. It has dropped into the 20's here off and on at night for the last couple of weeks. The block heater is working, there's conditioner in the fuel, the anti-freeze is good for about -50 and the plumbing lines have been blown out, the hot water tank drained, etc etc. Why don't one of you southerners adopt me !!! It really , really does suck, What a long ...... winter it's going to be. I am however still doing a little work here and there to it though.   Have fun!!

Grant

Have Fun!!
Grant
billy6941

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 12:38:20 AM »

It's been as low as 4 degrees, here in Soldotna. Had 3" of snow, but melted off and has been clear for days. Expected to warm up next week, though. We leave on Friday for a trip "outside" to pick up a 57 4104 we just bought. I won't miss the cold weather. Getting too old for all that. Last February, I was driving Chinese tourists around Fairbanks and Chena Hot Spring at -48 degrees.... How's that for cold....Bill
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 12:48:21 AM »

Bill - Always wondered what the Hot springs were like in winter - Chena has a neat little lodge and the skeeters were not too bad - Lots of moose on the road in summer - Do they still have the Musk Ox farm on the way? - Enjoy your new coach and good luck!

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
Fred Mc

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 09:37:29 AM »

Grant, I used to live is Regina, Sask. We always joked that we had 8 months of winter and 4 months of poor sledding.

Fred M.
CAROLINABOY

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2008, 07:01:35 PM »

newbie question, I'm fust getting into my conversion so no trips for a while, do I need to do anything to the bus to winterise I'm in NC??

servant for JESUS CHRIST
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2008, 07:13:48 PM »

newbie question, I'm fust getting into my conversion so no trips for a while, do I need to do anything to the bus to winterise I'm in NC??

As long as the engine has antifreeze, and no freshwater (restroom, freshwater system), nope.  The bus will winter without attention.   Even fresh diesel fuel will be quite fine come spring...or spring 2010... 
Certainly no harm in servicing the unit....grease fittings, lube and clean.  But the bus won't suffer sitting thru the winter. 
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 06:12:28 AM »

Each winter I drain the tanks, blow out the lines, add the pink RV antifreeze stuff, ... the usual winterizing steps. But twice now I have forgotten about an unopened six pack of Coca Cola left somewhere in the bus.  Once it was in the turned off refrigerator, the second time it was in a storage compartment.  The stuff always freezes and explodes, making me feel real stupid while I clean up the sticky mess in the spring Embarrassed
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 05:01:19 AM by WEC4104 » Logged

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: