Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 09:57:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel Treatment  (Read 3332 times)
gm4106

Ignore
« on: October 25, 2008, 05:45:19 AM »

With the new type of diesel fuel out there I have been hearing a lot about bacteria growth in the fuel tanks and fuel gelling in the colder weather.  Their are several different products on the market to try to elevate this issue.  I have 8V71TA and just had a overhead done this spring and the motor seems to be running great.  As far as a preventative maintenance injector cleaner I am looking at Sea Foam or Lucas.  I am trying to find out who is having the best luck with each product.  I have heard a lot of good things about Sea Foam, however one of the draw backs is it is a little pricier.  I am not trying to save a little at the cost of having a lot of problems.  I am more than happy to pay the additional cost, let me know your thoughts.

GM PD4106-1689 8V71TA  V730
Mount Holly,NC
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 06:42:26 AM »

I had a bacterial growth problem, but that was befor the new fuel was out. My bus just sits too much with fuel in it.
 I have found there are many people on both sides of the additive issue. Some very passionate about the use or non use of the products. So the age old question is it "snake oil" or truly a great product?  After much checking I decided against any of the truck stop type additvies.
  I dont want to go through the alge problem again so I use Bioguard, it is available at marine type stores. It is also possible to "polish" the fuel, which basicly is running the fuel through an external pump and filter, this is done alot by boat people.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/21560/377%20710/0/fuel%20additive/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710&Ne=0&Ntt=fuel%20additive&Ntk=Primary%20Search&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&Nao=0&Ns=0&keyword=fuel%20additive&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=6&subdeptNum=169&classNum=764

I should add that the one time I had a problem with bacteria the bus had sat for 6 months without starting, but did have a full tank.

HTH Jim
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 08:10:34 AM by jjrbus » Logged

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 06:47:32 AM »

Howes Diesel Treat, Sold at many Flying J's and Pilots. They have an anti-gel garentee. They will pay for the towing if you gel up.

HTH

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 06:56:23 AM »

you guys are wasting your money on the anti-gel additives there very little wax left in the new fuel to gel in temps above 20 degrees and fuels sold are seasonal the oil compines take care of that for you the stuff is snake oil  keep the water out and there will not be any problems    have a great day
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 07:01:28 AM by makemineatwostroke » Logged
larryh
4905A-893 P8M

ready to run with the big dogs

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 07:30:02 AM »

Guys keep tamks full and caps on tight and enjoy and it will fire up when you ready to go. If it's going to sit start it couple of times a month and bring up to temperature and keep it topped off and shouldn't be no problems and you won't need any snake oil.

LarryH

Savvy ponderable:
A cowboy's only afraid of two things:
havin' ta walk,
and the love of a good woman.
"This posting was generated using an environmentally friendly, self contained flatulence generator, therefore no fossils or neutrons were harmed in the creation of this posting.

Quartzsite,
John316

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 05:24:31 PM »

MMA2S, I would have to say that a lot of it depends on where gm4106 lives. Florida? no problem. Northern Canada? Problem. I have heard since they have taken a lot of the sulpher out of the diesel that it gels more. I certainly am not a pro, but that is just my opinion. Others might be more informed.

HTH
God bless,

John

makemineatwostroke

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 08:06:07 AM »

John; sulfur has nothing to do with gelling it is the wax in fuel and you are right about the ulsd fuel freezing a few degrees before the lsd but it is nothing compaired to the gelling of high sulhur fuels of the past.The ulsd has suspended water and that is what freezes causing what little wax in the fuel to gel.Winter blend fuels are a 50/50 mix of #1 and #2 diesel and are good to around 0 degrees and no way is your fuel going to gel with your 60s or any other common rail engine returning fuel back to the tank at 120+ degrees,it's your money buy what you think is best but it is not needed      have a great day
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 11:54:57 AM by makemineatwostroke » Logged
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 09:02:00 AM »

Nothern Canada: no problem. The fuel is seasonally adjusted to flow at the expected temperatures.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 09:13:32 AM »

From my experience with gelling diesel fuel happans as the result of not being prepared for the winter months. Late fall with summer blend in tank. I use additive if I have no room in tank for winter blend. The statement of returning fuel to tank is a good one when traveling. Cold start and wrong fuel is where most get into trouble in my experience.

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 11:11:11 AM »

I was lucky with my Crown Super Coaches fuel, it was 7 years old when sold, but all the tests showed it to be fine.  And...it was a winter blend and was 95% full.

What I'm hearing is that the new "funny fuel" is just fine and about the only thing really needed is to make sure you have "winter fuel" when parked for the winter?  HB of CJ Smiley Smiley Smiley

John316

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 05:40:08 AM »

MMA2S,

Thanks for the info. It will save me some treatment expense. (Always looking for a better less expensive route!!!)

God bless,

John

white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 04:50:59 PM »

yeah mma2s, that did help.  i've probably got summer weight fuel and maybe sitting all winter. 

guess i'll have to weigh that potential problem into whether i get to arcadia this NY's.  with diesel at $3 today, i'm hoping it will go to $2.50.  i think that may be my magic number.

i was adding some additives, but for lubricity, not algea.  i'm currently on a full tank of bio, so no additive needed, according to previous topics and discussions.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
busshawg

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 02:43:13 PM »

I have had bad luck with adding Howes to cheap fuel, did freeze up after sitting for 2 days. I had added more than the recommended dosage. I usually add some sort of additive and always carry a jug of Meld Down for the rare occasion when I do freeze up. I have been caught on the side of he road in January in South Dakota at 2 in the morning. Dumped in all the additive I had, about 100 bucks worth, went through 3 sets of filters and nothing helped although it was running on 2 cylinders. Added the Melt Down , left running for about 6 hours, changed filters one last time and away I went. Have been using a product called 911. Not sure how good it is but so far it's been okay. A couple of gallons off gasoline will get you out of a pickle too, but only in an emergency, just add so ATF after your up and going to lube the pump.

Have fun

Have Fun!!
Grant
John316

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 07:05:28 PM »

Busshawg,

Thanks for the heads up on the Howe's treatment. That stuff sure is expensive enough if it doesn't work very well.

God bless,

John

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 11:33:38 AM »

I'm considering fuel additive this winter.  It can get downright cold here in the winter.  Diesel blending generally starts Oct 15th and I filled up a few weeks before that.

I don't generally take the bus anywhere in the winter, but it would be nice to have it start and run if I did want to start it. 

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 12:04:52 PM »

Belfert, buy you a fuel tank warmer you can buy one for about the same price as the treatments the Actric Fox is made somewhere in MN I believe Delano and it will last forever not a 100 gals     have a great day
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 12:06:46 PM by makemineatwostroke » Logged
busshawg

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2008, 01:35:26 PM »

I agree with above, that is the best way to keep your fuel warm, a little more work but if your using the bus in the winter it will easily pay itself off

Have fun!

Have Fun!!
Grant
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2008, 06:41:13 PM »

The $170 and up for a fuel warmer would pay for a lot of fuel treatment.  I would only need one fuel treatment a year.  If burned a full tank during the winter the replacement fuel would be winter treated.

I have never had a gelling incident with winter fuel even at -20F overnight.  I did gel up one time with a new Ford truck, but the speculation is that the factory was not filling with blended fuel.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: